Continuous Line Drawing is art made without lifting the pen or pencil from the paper until the artist completes his artwork.
You can create simple and beautiful artwork using the continuous line drawing technique.
This concept is a type of minimalism in artwork without too much complication with only lines.
The line in the drawing is not disconnected or broken hence the term continuous line drawing.
It is simple, easy, and helps in hand and eye coordination for the artist.
You begin the drawing to keep moving your hand without lifting it from the paper. It doesn’t matter whether you’re drawing lines, tones, or any other form on paper; you continue to draw without lifting your pen.
For shades, you draw lines closely. You may have to draw lines where it is not supposed to be, but that is fine. Draw where you feel is right.
Keep drawing the line till you complete your picture.
- How to do a Continuous Line Drawing?
- What are the art materials needed for Continuous Line Drawing?
- How do you Create Continuous Line Art?
- Ten Golden Rules for Continuous Line Drawing
- What is the Purpose of Continuous Line artwork?
- What is some continuous Line drawing ideas?
- Continuous Line Drawing as a Drawing Exercise
- Benefits of Practicing Continuous Line Drawing
How to do a Continuous Line Drawing?
Unlike other drawing techniques, there are no hard or fast rules in continuous line drawing. It is a type of artwork that freely flows through the hand of an artist.
I would like to cover here specific simple requirements: –
What are the art materials needed for Continuous Line Drawing?
There are three main items needed.
- Art paper or any Paper
- Pencil (or) Pen (or) Felt Pen (or) Marker Pen
- An object or a picture that you want to draw
You can use any drawing instrument you are comfortable with to create a line or mark on the paper for this drawing.
How do you Create Continuous Line Art?
If you are creating your artwork from a Reference picture, you must carefully study the reference picture.
You should mentally extract the lines or contours from the reference picture and visualize precisely the outlines.
There are no fixed rules like where to start the drawing. But it is a widespread practice if you are a right-hander that you should begin your picture from the top left-hand side and move right and down.
In this drawing, always start in the artwork where the line needs to come again and join finally.
First, you may draw the essential outlines and shapes using one line and draw more details. The outlines can help you in getting the prominent figure of the drawing and other minor details.
This way, you can avoid touching the lines already drawn.
We shall draw two simple faces using this drawing technique.
The first one is quite simple, representing an outline, and the second one is more detailed.
Ten Golden Rules for Continuous Line Drawing
This art type is not a formal drawing having divine rules, but it is more like a framework or guideline, making it a One-line picture.
- Continuous Line art should have only one start point and one endpoint for the entire sketch.
- This drawing aims to create an artwork with one single line rather than perfection or accuracy. It is also critical not to give too much attention to precision.
- The lines should be continuous and should not have breakage anywhere in the entire drawing.
- Concentrate on the outlines or the contours and draw them on your art paper.
- The lines can be thin and thick in the drawing by adding pressure to show depth, shadow, or value for the picture.
- Give importance to the subject and focus on the main shape of the subject.
- Draw what you see on your reference picture and not what you feel. This way, your drawing will look closer to what your reference picture is.
- If you have lifted your hand from the paper, continue to draw from that part of the line.
- If there is a mistake, please continue drawing and do not use an eraser for rectification.
- The real beauty of continuous line artwork is its inaccuracy rather than perfection.
What is the Purpose of Continuous Line artwork?
The continuous Line drawing technique is an excellent way to improve eye and hand coordination increasing the confidence level in drawing lines.
With constant practice, your hand will start moving exactly how the lines are in the reference picture.
This line technique will significantly improve the confidence level and your line quality. The lines will start flowing to be smooth without any shiver. You will be able to master the technique of drawing thin and thick lines wherever needed.
Once the contours and the line quality are pleasing, this will overall improve your art skill.
These drawings are simple, easy, yet elegant to see. You can sell one-line drawings at a reasonable price if it has good finishing and a nice frame.
What is some continuous Line drawing ideas?
You can draw continuous Line illustrations from any picture that you like.
If you love animals, then choose a drawing of an animal and start with it.
The most famous drawing ideas are drawing faces, hands, vegetables, flowers, and even nature drawings of mountains and rivers.
Continuous Line Drawing as a Drawing Exercise
If you aspire to become an Artist, you should practice Single Line drawing once in a while.
It may seem a little stupid, but believe me, this will enhance your artistic abilities.
Pick up any object, a key, bulb, mobile, or anything which you see. That is the fun, and start drawing without lifting your pen.
Practice not one day, but regularly till you are satisfied.
Benefits of Practicing Continuous Line Drawing
- Continuous Line Drawing is a Drawing Exercise to improve your eye and hand coordination.
- It trains you to extract the contour or the outlines from any picture or scene you want to create.
- It helps you to understand proportions, contrast and helps you draw what you see.
- This exercise will significantly improve your line quality and contours in your drawing.
- It takes a short amount of time to create, say 5 to 10 minutes, but you will enjoy the result.
Continuous line drawing is a fun and easy art technique that improves your eye-hand coordination. One continuous line can create an exclusive artwork, so these drawings are simple yet elegant to see. Follow the ten golden rules for continuous line drawing, as outlined above, if you want to learn how to create smooth, effortless lines!